Wednesday 14 November 2012

Avant-garde: the latest on the newest in fashion's 'now'


You know those successful and fortunate individuals that, when they have a job to do, they just go right ahead and do it? Well, upsettingly, I am not one of those people. I am, what one would call, ‘highly effective at procrastinating.’ That is; I tend to do anything other than what I really should be doing. For example: today, instead of completing urgent deadlines, I found myself day dreaming of beautiful and avant-garde outfits instead. Which, by the way, was a million times more fabulous than aimlessly searching for an overdue credit card bill that I know I’ve lost.

            Any who, in an attempt to delay achieving anything of substantial importance (I’m confident that debt collectors will be the new must-have accessory), I preceded to turn my absentmindedness into a somewhat tangible reality. Hence, I began to Google search avant-garde outfits.
For those of you who aren’t familiar, (insert shocked expression and a slight-but-not-too-obvious pair of judging eyes) avant-garde is the term us fashionista’s use to describe clothing which is innovative or remarkably unusual. Think futuristic, think ‘out there’; think wearing a giant life-sized jumping castle as a hat. Just think Lady Gaga okay… Strange yet chic.

As a consequence of my Google research, it has come to my attention that these peculiar and utterly amazing garments sincerely take my breath away. I was, quite literally, staring at my laptop like a bright-eyed, open-mouthed fool. These fabulous frocks left me- someone who has an unfortunate predisposition to rant and talk futile banter- speechless. As in: unable to perform coherent English.
            Alas, I have dedicated the majority of this blog post to pictures. Although my writing ego is sitting in a corner of my brain weeping her eyes out, I feel that no amount of wit or brilliant use of wordplay could do these dresses, or their artist, justice.

So sit back (recline if you must) and get ready to witness fanatic fashion at its finest. 


 the cat-walk-model becomes a butterfly


a garment or a garden? 
Alexander McQueen was the king of Avant-Garde

           
and the queen herself, Gaga.


 has anyone seen my briefcase?


 Victor and Rolf's Surrealistic Gowns: beyond brilliant


 yes, the dress is also an inflatable boat. 
These designers think of everything, don't they?


 giving new meaning to the term 'scarf'


 why run off and join the circus, 
when you can simply wear one?


 I like my tea black. And as a bodice, thanks.


feathered fantasy


 what are you reading, ahem,
wearing?


 oh deer


balloon-ing around


the wedding dress AND the wedding cake. 
Lukka Sigurdardottir; phenomenal 


...Breathtaking, huh? Now you can see why I was exceptionally distracted! Fashion is fantasy. And avant-garde garments are blending this fantasy with our reality. Perhaps we don't witness women dressed head-to-toe in sirloin steak on our streets (thank bloody god), but as a result of eccentric and unconventional innovators; we can. And that is the true beauty of fashion. There is no such thing as impossible. Or impractical. Or absurd. 
And, despite the fact that I will undeniably get a late fee on my next credit card bill, I will revel in this enchanting fact. 


xxxxxxx

1 comment:

  1. some outfits were really beautiful and breath taking and others really creative. i love!

    ReplyDelete